Voting

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Last one for today...

We went in to see dad at the 6pm visit time. They were just waking him from anaesthesia...not an easy way to see someone you care about. The breathing tubes were gagging him and he was having a lot of trouble with that. He was responding very well to instruction though. When our 20 minutes were up we were told to leave and come back at 8pm.

At the 8 pm visit, they were ready to take the breathing tubes out. I was really glad for him because I knew it would make him much more comfortable. The first thing he said when it came out was, "Hit by a truck!" We felt so awful...so helpless. Then, in true "dad" style he says, "Where are my puppies? Rudy?" We laughed at that. His mouth was really dry and he wanted water...the nurse said no. When she walked away he said, "Ice chips..." I asked and she again said no...he needed a few more hours off meds first. Then he says, "So, I guess a beer is out of the question!" He also asked if I would take a picture of him for the blog...I said, "NO WAY!" Not yet...maybe tomorrow if he is more clear headed. Chest cracked open and everything...he still has a great sense of humor. He was very tired and just wanted to sleep so we left for the night to give him rest. We knew he would keep waking up if we went to visit with him...and he is in great hands. His biggest complaint right now is that his butt hurts. He's been on his back for almost 12 hours straight now. The nurses were going to turn him as we left. Mom will be back at the hospital in the morning. We'll all meet up at some point there tomorrow. The nurse said that he could be in a regular hospital room as soon as tomorrow afternoon depending on his progress. So far...he is doing REALLY well. Keep on praying and thinking of him...quick recovery thoughts always welcome!! :) Update again tomorrow!

2 comments:

Mandy Archer said...

Oh how this makes me laugh and as I read the typed words I can hear your dad saying all of them. I hope everyone is doing well and tell daddy-o that I am thinking and praying for him.

Love you lady!

Danielle said...

I am so glad he is doing well and has kept his sense of humor through it all:) I kept checking your blog all day to see how things went! I am sure it was terrible to see your dad like that but I am so glad everything went great.
Call me if you need anything:))
Danielle